Here are some beautiful winter wedding invitation designs that can be ordered online or can also be customised and printed in a D-I-Y fashion.
Having spent the last 15 years as a professional wedding singer and DJ I have noticed that certain songs keep popping up time and time again. These are the tunes that I refer to as “The Songs That Never Die”. They work well with almost any audience, in any location and at any occasion.
I have a rule when performing – if I get a song requested more than 3 times and I don’t know it, I have to go and learn it that week. With this simple method I have compiled a killer set list that always entertains and keeps a dance floor going if needed for hours on end.
What's funny is a good song just seems to work every time, whether played on acoustic guitar with a vocal or through a big sound system in a DJ type environment. Songs like "Sweet Caroline" by Neil Diamond and "Don't Stop Me Now" By Queen never bomb, the crowd sings along and dances without fail.
Here is a list of my top 40 most requested songs of all time. They are great songs to request from a solo acoustic artists, duo, band or DJ. This list is geared more towards classic songs rather than newer electronic music. If you want a to find out the top 50 DJ dance floor songs that are a bit more modern you can check out my other post here.
1. Mr Brightside by The Killers
2. Shallow by Lady Gaga
3. Rocket Man by Elton John
4. 1000 Miles by Vanessa Carlton
5. Sweet Caroline by Neil Diamond
6. Proud Mary by Tina Turner
7. Dancing Queen by Abba
8. Don’t Stop Believing by Journey
9. Brown Eyed Girl by Van Morrison
10. September by Earth Wind and Fire
11. Piano Man by Billy Joel
12. Superstition by Stevie Wonder
13. American Pie by Don Maclean
14. Wonderwall by Oasis
15. I’m Yours by Jason Mraz
16. Grease by Olivia Newton John and John Travolta
17. Girls Just Wanna Have Fun by Cindy Lauper
18. Living on a Prayer by Bon Jovi
19. Stand by Me by Ben E King
20. Don’t Stop Me Now by Queen
21. Blister in The Sun by The Violent Femmes
22. Lonely Boy by The Black Keys
23. Oh What a Night by Frankie Vallie
24. I Want It That Way by The Backstreet Boys
25. Africa by Toto
26. Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen
27. Tiny Dancer by Elton John
28. Stuck in the Middle with You by Steelers Wheel
29. Hound Dog by Elvis
30. Man I Feel Like A Woman by Sheryl Crow
31. Crazy Little Thing Called Love Queen
32. Total Eclipse of The Heart by Bonnie Tyler
33. Walking in Memphis by Mark Cohn
34. Jesse’s Girl by Rick Springfield
35. Summer of 69 by Bryan Adams
36. Uptown Funk by Bruno Mars
37. Imagine by John Lennon
38. Billie Jean by Michael Jackson
39. All Star by Smash Mouth
40. Steal my Kisses by Ben Harper
I have been a wedding singer and DJ for over 15 years now and I can honestly say, the right songs on the dance floor at a wedding reception can really make or break the whole night. Making sure you have great bangers lined up back to back ensures the vibe of the evening stays high energy and everybody can have a great time.
What surprises me year after year are the classic songs that just “never die”. Songs like Whitney Houston’s “I wanna dance with somebody” never fail on any age crowd. If course as a wedding entertainer you have to read the crowd somewhat and figure out on the fly which songs might be appropriate. I have put together my most bullet-proof list for you and I can tell you with confidence that all of these are consistent winners with all ages and audience types.
When providing music at a wedding reception you have to remember that there are usually people of all ages and social groups so it’s best not to play any obscure or personal “in joke” songs unless you know at least 75% of the audience will get the joke. There is nothing worse than watching a dance floor drain and the enthusiasm disappear because of one poor song choice, and believe me it can happen in seconds!
So here is my current list that works very well, enjoy.
1. 24k Magic – Bruno Mars
2. Can’t Feel My Face – The Weekend
3. I Wanna Dance With Somebody – Whitney Houston
4. Love Shack – B 52s
5. Low – Flo Rida
6. Billy Jean – Michael Jackson
7. Gettin’ Jiggy Wit It – Will Smith
8. Hey Ya – Outkast
9. Uptown Funk – Bruno Mars
10. Shake it Off – Taylor Swift
11. I Will Survive – Gloria Gaynor
12. Shape of You – Ed Sheeran
13. Rehab – Amy Winehouse
14. Lady Marmelade – Pink
15. Don’t Stop Me Now – Queen
16. Wake Me up Before You Go-Go – George Michael
17. The Grease Mega-Mix
18. Girls Just Want to Have Fun – Cindy Lauper
19. Man, I Feel Like a Woman – Shania Twain
20. Blame It on the Boogie – Jackson 5
21. 500 Miles – The Pretenders
22. Valerie – Amy Winehouse
23. Good As Hell – Lizzo
24. Happy – Pharell Williams
25. Pony – Genuwine
"If you are hiring a wedding band or DJ make sure you forward them all of your favourite songs leading up to the wedding. Wedding entertainers will play all of the songs on your list if they know them and if they don't, will usually play it through a iPhone or Laptop. These days with Spotify Premium - everybody's a DJ."
26. All About That Bass – Megan Trainor
27. Dynamite – Taio Cruiz
28. Stop – Spice Girls
29. Nutbush City Limits – Tina Turner
30. Single Ladies – Beyonce
31. Satisfaction – Rolling Stones
32. We Are Family – Sister Sledge
33. Push It – Salt n Peppa
34. I Gotta Feeling – Black Eyed Peas
35. Celebration – Cool and the Gang
36. Crazy in Love – Beyonce
37. Bootylicious – Destiny’s Child
38. Love is in the air – John Paul Young
39. Party In The USA – Miley Cyrus
40. Yeah – Usher
41. Dancing Queen – Abba
42. Super Freak – Rick James
43. Come On Eileen – Dexy’s Mindnight Runners
44. Everybody – Backstreet Boys
45. Paper Planes – M.I.A
46. Sweet Caroline – Neil Young
47. Eastside – Halsey
48. Jump Around – House of Pain
49. Turn Down for What – Dj Snake
50. Closing Time – Semisonic
1. Coffee Date
Don’t stress if you can’t get everyone together at once. Just organize a special coffee date at one of your favourite shops and maybe even bring along a small gift like a custom coffee mug with your friend’s name on it.
2. Boozy Brunch
It’s time to crack out the champagne and ask the girls in style. Pick a brunch spot and make sure everyone has plenty of food and bubbles. Make it a fun day to remember and the first of many planning meetings.
3. Give a Gift
There are tons of amazing “ask a bridesmaid” custom products online on marketplaces such as Etsy, Zazzle, Society6 and Amazon. Spend a few hours searching for the perfect one that matches your bridesmaids personalities.